Saturday, April 13, 2013

Cilantro-Lime Pork Rollups with Caramelized Onions


Recipe FLASHBACK!  No, I did not get a hair cut. This photo is five years old.  Today I was making my recipe for Cilantro-Lime Pork Rollups with Caramelized Onions and it occurred to me that it was five years ago this month that my mom and I were at the Pillsbury Bake-Off in Dallas, Texas.  We had a fantastic time.  I'll share a few photos with you while I take a walk down memory lane. 



All the recipes on display; my cooking was done. We had to make the recipe three times. Once for judges, once for photos and display, and one extra time just in case. It was exhilarating but exhausting!


The Pillsbury Doughboy and me.  You gotta love this guy!


When you stand close to the Pillsbury Doughboy you can hear a fan running.  Seriously, there is a fan inside that costume, presumably to keep the costume wearer cooler.  I would love to dress up as the Pillsbury Doughboy!



A frenzy of cooking on the ballroom floor.  One hundred little kitchens all lined up and no running water!  They have to run the air conditioners like crazy to get the ballroom very cold so the room is tolerable when 100 ovens get turned on during the contest.



Here's the 2008 Bake-Off Cookbook.



Here's my little 'ol recipe in the book.


I've started a little collection of Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookbooks. It's fun to look at them to see how cooking and Pillsbury products have changed over the decades.  A lot of the products are no longer available. 

Here's what the recipe looks like as you make it. It's a lot of work but it's pretty darn tasty if I can say so myself.  


Sauteing the marinated pork.


All the ingredients are assembled...


Everybody gets a little schmear of refried beans...



... and some pork (I doubled the pork this time around)...


... and some caramelized onions... can you see them...?
 Here's a little close up so you can see those tasty onions...


Then some grated pepper jack cheese...


Some with colby jack cheese for my son (he's not a fan of pepper jack)...

Hey, why do my photos look kind of blue...


Oh, the sun is shining through the stained glass window over the island in the kitchen...
Sorry for the blue tinted food photos!


Ready to bake.  I put them in the refrigerator at this point and popped them
in the oven when we were wanting to have dinner.

If you would like to give this recipe a try, the recipe link is HERE! 


No comments: