I am over the Moon about this recipe. It tastes a bit like a Tuna Salad Sandwich but it's meat and dairy free. Also there is no mayonaise so it's a nice low fat alternative. My only regret is that I did not make a double recipe.
You just mash the heck out of it with your potato masher and you are done!
I found this recipe on a blog called Oh She Glows which features great looking healthy vegan recipes.
The recipe link is HERE. I did not change the recipe much; my slight changes are noted below.
Delicious Chickpea Salad from www.ohsheglows.com
Ingredients (3 servings)
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped dill pickle (I used just 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh dill (I omitted)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp regular mustard (I used 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds (or pecans/walnuts), chopped (I used sunflower seeds... AWESOME!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Kelp granules (I omitted)
- 1. Preheat oven to 325F and toast the sunflower seeds for about 11 minutes ( I toasted my sunflower seeds in a dry skillet on the stove top until they turned slightly brown and fragrant).
- 2. Mix everything into a bowl, mashing up the chickpeas slightly with a fork, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stuff into a wrap or pita, or enjoy with crackers or rice cakes.