Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cinco de Mayo: Beef Taco Skillet (Inspiration in the Kitchen Cupboard)



Beef Taco Skillet (Photo from www.campbellskitchen.com)

As I was preparing to go to the grocery store last week, I was taking a quick inventory of what I already had on hand in the cupboards, refrigerator, and freezer.  I noticed this recipe on the back of a Campbell's Tomato Soup can and realized I had all the ingredients already.  I really did not change the recipe that significantly; I replaced the flour tortillas with white corn tortillas, added in a can of dark red kidney beans, and increased the cooking liquids just a tad.  This is not a super authentic Mexican dish but it is what I made this week.  It's a nice and easy to make, you only have wash one skillet when you are done, and the leftovers reheat really well.  I should have snapped a photo while it was looking delicious, simmering away in the skillet on the stove top but I guess I was in a hurry.  I portioned it out in plastic storage containers for my work week lunches.

Beef Taco Skillet
Adapted from recipe on Campbell's Tomato Soup can (Original recipe link is HERE)
1 pound ground beef
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup (Regular or Healthy Request®)
3/4 cup Pace® Picante Sauce
3/4 cup water
1 can (15 ounce size) dark red kidney beans
6 flour corn tortillas (6-inch), cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook the beef in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat.  Pour off any fat.  Stir the soup, picante sauce, water, beans. and tortillas in the skillet and heat to a boil.   Reduce the heat to low.  Cook for 5 - 8 minutes.  Stir the beef mixture.  Top with the cheese.

No comments: