Saturday, August 17, 2013

Italian Sloppy Joes



A few nights ago, I had one of those restless nights where I could not fall back asleep after waking up around 2:00 a.m. I have too many of these nights... I am blaming peri-menopause! Is that TMI (too much information?)

Since I was up in the wee hours, I started looking up recipes. I guess this means it was the wee hours of Thursday morning and I knew I'd be going grocery shopping in a matter of hours. I found two crock pot recipes I wanted to try and I shopped accordingly for both recipes. I made a recipe called Hot Stromboli Sandwiches last night and I LOVE it! Truth be told it could be made on the stove top; it only had to simmer in the crock pot on low for one hour. All the ingredients are cooked when you put them in the crock pot so it's just a matter of warming through and simmering a bit. I think this would be a great recipe to bring to a pot luck or an event such as my son's annual tennis team dinner. This is basically a recipe for sloppy joes and is similar from Manwich (the stuff in the can), which I also really like. But this recipe has a bit of an Italian flair which you'll see in the ingredients. I think this recipe would freeze well. It does make a lot but we'll have this polished off in no time. I am making sandwiches on hoasted hoagie buns; I like them open faced. I topped my sandwich with a little thinly sliced provolone cheese.

Here is the recipe from a great looking blog called Crock Pot Ladies.
The recipe link is... HERE.
 
Hot Stromboli Sandwiches (AKA: Italian Sloppy Joes)
Ingredients

2 Pounds Ground Beef
1 Small Onion , chopped
1 Cup Ketchup
1 Cup V8 Juice
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning

Instructions
  1. In a skillet, brown ground beef and onions, drain and add to crock-pot.
  2. Add remaining ingredients to the crock-pot and stir well.
  3. Cook on low for 1 hour until hot.
  4. Serve on Sliced Italian Bread or French Bread with Mozzarella Cheese on top.
 I forgot the onion and used the dehydrated minced onions that I had in my cupboard.

No comments: