Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Spicy White Chili: Gluten Free


Spicy White Chili


My husband decided to put himself on a lower carbohydrate diet a few months back. So far, so good... he's probably lost 20 pounds. I should have joined him but I just wasn't not feeling it. I like an occasional cookie or pancake, and I want a side of rice or pasta or some potatoes now and again. I am supportive of what dear hubby is trying to accomplish but I have to admit, sometimes it's a bit of work.



So far, we have had lots of meatloaf and a variety of meatballs. We substituted the bread crumbs in meatloaf and meatballs with ground up oats. Seemed like a better source of carbs than... Wonderbread or buttery crackers. Most of the meatballs go really good with garlicky cucumber yogurt sauce, so I've made that a lot. The fridge is routinely stocked with peeled hard boiled eggs as well as washed and chopped romaine lettuce, carrot sticks and celery sticks. Yep, I have dear hubby pretty spoiled. To be fair, my husband has been doing his fair share of grilling out doors to assist with the low carb business.  

The other day, at Sam's Club, I noticed a magazine which had 140 low carbohydrate recipes. I grabbed it.  At home, I handed my husband the magazine with a little tablet of "sticky notes" and asked him to find something that looked good to him. 



 He picked three recipes... three out of 140 recipes. 

 Here's #1, Spicy White Chili. Verdict: Good stuff!










I cooked this on the stove top instead if in the slow cooker. I just let it simmer for a few hours on low with the lid on, stirring every once in awhile. I forgot the cilantro. Still good. As always, I like to use plain low fat yogurt in place of the sour cream. 


Next we are trying a Mexican casserole from this magazine.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments: