Saturday, January 18, 2014

Easy Banana Granola Pancakes

 
Easy Banana Granola Pancakes
 

I love leisurely Saturday mornings, don't you?
I love that I don't have to hurry off to get any place.
I also have Thursday and Fridays off. Things feel more hurried those days.  I try to make Zach a nice hot breakfast before school since I don't get to do that on my work days.  I also meet with a friend to walk the dogs on Fridays. Hurry, hurry, hurry!



On Saturdays, we joke that I am a short order cook; I often make three different breakfasts... something different for everyone. Today, Ron had ham and over easy eggs. Zach had "home fries" and a bacon and cheese omelet.  As for me, I whipped up some pancakes.  The recipe yielded 18 pancakes so this will be my breakfasts for the week.  I had Hungry Jack Buttermilk Complete Pancake Mix (the kind where you just add water) in the cupboard and two ridiculously over ripe bananas on the counter top.  I wanted to add toasted pecans or walnuts to the mix but by the time I was making breakfast #3 for the morning, I was getting tired of making breakfast, so I decided to toss in the really old granola which was sitting on the counter top.  It all came together nicely and made for some really good pancakes.  Why did I not try this sooner!

Easy Banana Granola Pancakes

2 very ripe bananas
2 cups Hungry Jack Buttermilk Complete Pancake Mix
1 1/2 cups water or a little less
a glug of vanilla (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon)
1/4 cup granola

Mash bananas with a fork in a medium sized mixing bowl.  Add in the pancake mix and most of the water.  My bananas were kind of dry so I used almost all of the 1 1/2 cups water. You want the batter to be runny enough so the pancakes spread out.  Also as the batter sits, I've noticed it sets up a bit (gets less runny).  If the batter is too think, it may be difficult to get the pancakes to cook through.  Stir well with a whisk until the consistency is good and then stir in the vanilla and granola.

Preheat a griddle pan to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray griddle pan with non-stick cooking spray and spoon batter onto griddle.  My recipe yielded 18 pancakes.  Do not under cook the pancakes.  My first batch was a little underdone.  I cooked the subsequent batches a bit longer.

Enjoy!


No comments: