Sunday, March 6, 2016

Energized Granola with Chia Seeds


Energized Granola with Chia Seeds


I was watching a Food Network show called "The Kitchen" the other day and they showed a few ideas for food gifts that could be given as party favors.  They recipe that stood out to me was a recipe for granola with chia seeds.  I looked up the recipe on line and decided to make it with ingredients I had on hand.  I really like how the granola turned out. 

I am using the granola as a topping on yogurt.  My new favorite brand of yogurt is called "Noosa"; it's made here in Colorado.  Every flavor I have tried is amazing.  I am enjoying it as a sweet treat or dessert; it's THAT good.  So far I've tried flavors including Tart Cherry, Salted Caramel, Lemon, and Strawberry Rhubarb, but they also have flavors such as Blood Orange, Honey, Passion Fruit and Blackberry Serrano (serrano is a hot chili pepper so that should interesting!). 

Here is the granola recipe link on www.foodnetwork.com:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/energized-granola-with-chia-seeds-recipe.html

Here is how I altered the recipe; I made a number of changes (left out ingredients and substituted ingredients based upon what I had on hand).  I love the walnuts in this granola so next time I make this, I will add extra walnuts.  I decided to leave out the dried fruit since I knew I'd be eating this granola and just wanted the crunchy topping.  I also thought it would be kind of weird to bake the dried fruit.  Ordinarily, when I make granola, I add the dried fruit after I bake the nuts and grains.  I also appreciate the fact that this granola has no added fat (butter or oil).

ENERGIZED GRANOLA WITH CHIA SEEDS: my changes in ( ).

1 1/2 cups rolled oats (I added a little extra since I omitted other ingredients)
1/2 cup black chia seeds
1/4 cup sliced almonds (I omitted)
1/4 cup dried cherries (I omitted)
1/4 cup coconut flakes (I used unsweetened coconut)
1/4 cup golden raisins (I omitted)
1/4 cup raisins (I omitted)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I used pumpkin seeds instead)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (whoops! I left this out)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Stir together the rolled oats, chia seeds, almonds, cherries, coconut flakes, both types of raisins, the sunflower seeds, walnuts, cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla in a large bowl. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and season with salt.

Bake, stirring after 15 minutes, until the nuts are golden brown, about 30 minutes total. Let cool and add to your favorite yogurt!

No comments: