Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Veggie Muffin Fritatta



Veggie Muffin Fritatta  


There are a gazillion recipes out there for little fritatta or quiche made in muffin pans. Here's one more. 


This is a great make-ahead meal to make mornings throughout the week easier. I also had these for lunch yesterday. I used ingredients I had on hand. 

Some recipes I saw on line called for adding raw veggies to the raw eggs and then baking. I picture those varieties having a wet texture if some of the moisture in the veggies was not sweated out a bit first by sautéing. I opted to cook my veggies first. I saw some recipes on line which called for oven roasting all of the veggies first. Very smart!


Veggie Muffin Fritatta

Ingredients 

1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 small vidalia onion, diced
3-4 ounces fresh baby spinach (4 big handfuls, about 3 ounces)
11 eggs
4 slices turkey bacon, cooked according to package instructions, diced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 

Makes 12 muffins (1 serving is 2 muffins; makes 6 servings)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray 12 muffin cups generously with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, scramble the eggs with salt and pepper.

Spray a large non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray, and heat over medium to medium high heat. Add in 4 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach and cook.stir until wilted and dark green.  It's amazing but you will end up with a very small amount of cooked spinach (about 1/2 cup).  Remove spinach from skillet and set aside.

Spray same skillet with more non-stick cooking spray, and saute/stir mushrooms until browned and most of the liquid has been cooked out of the mushrooms.  Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside.

Spray the same skillet with more non-stick cooking spray, and saute the onions and bell peppers until softened and the onions are translucent.  Remove the onions and peppers from the skillet and set aside.

Divide the cooked veggies and bacon evenly among the prepared muffin cups.  Carefully pour the scrambled egg mixture into muffin cups and distribute evenly so the cups are filled as evenly as possible.

Bake in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 16 to 18 minutes (until cooked through and not gummy on top).

Reheating instructions:  For one muffin, reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  For two muffins, reheat in the microwave for about 55 seconds.

Great topped with a little diced fresh tomato and crumbled feta cheese.

Enjoy!



I ended up getting 8 meals out of this.  I topped my muffin fritattas with fresh chopped tomato and a little crumbled feta cheese.





These muffin fritattas were a bit of work but when I got out of bed in the morning, I was so happy knowing I had an easy veggie filled breakfast already prepared.  I will definitely make these again; there are endless veggie combinations.

No comments: