Saturday, August 6, 2016

Asian Turkey Burgers with Asian Broccoli Slaw (21 Day Fix Friendly)



Asian Turkey Burgers with Broccoli Slaw


I am super excited about this new recipe (two new recipes actually).


When you change up your eating habits like I have recently, it stinks when it feels like every meal is some kind of salad.  If you've been following along, you'll know that I've been on a turkey burger kick lately.  This is a new twist on the Greek Zucchini Turkey Burger I made a few weeks ago. This time, I was going for Asian flavors and I am really happy with how it turned out. I am pairing these turkey burgers with a quick and easy broccoli slaw.


Asian Turkey Burgers
Servings: 4

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 grated medium sized carrot (a heaping 1/2 cup) ****
  • 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger ****
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated garlic (2 small cloves) ****


DIRECTIONS

****I used a box grater to grate my carrot and I used a Microplane brand grater/zester to finely grate the ginger and garlic.

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, carrot, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce.  Gently mix with your hands to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed.  Shape in to 4 equal patties, not too thick so they cook in the center. Heat a large nonstick skillet or indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. When hot, lightly spray pan with oil or non-stick cooking spray. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook on one side until browned (about 4 minutes), then flip. Cook an additional 4 minutes on the second side.  Turn one more time and cook about 2 minutes longer (10 minutes total cooking time).  Burgers are done when no pink remains inside the burgers or internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer. 

To reheat one burger, cook in a microwave oven for about 45 seconds on HIGH (100%) power.


Now that you've seen all about these burgers, would you like to know a little bit more about this Asian Broccoli Slaw? It's super simple.



I saw this recipe for Asian Broccoli Slaw on Facebook.  Here is the link to the recipe source (click HERE).  Despite the fact that this recipe calls for only a few ingredients, I still forgot some at the store. The recipe calls for red onions and green onions; I just left them out.  I think it would be great to add a little green onions (scallions) to both these burgers and the slaw, but I had none.  Next time I will add them if I have them on hand.  I cooked up all of my burgers already but I am just making up one portion of slaw when ever I warm up one burger.

Asian Broccoli Slaw
1 serving

1 1/4 cup prepared broccoli slaw from the produce section (shredded broccoli stalks, carrot, purple cabbage)
1 to 2 teaspoons Soy Vay brand "Toasted Sesame Dressing & Sauce"
1 tablespoon dried sweetened cranberries (Craisins)
1 tablespoon slice almonds

Combine all ingredients in a container with a lid.  Shake to coat the ingredients with the dressing.  Enjoy!

***

This is the first time I've tried Soy Vay brand "Toasted Sesame Dressing and Sauce".  I think this slaw would be great with other Asian-inspired salad dressings as well.  This one (see photo below), from Ken's Steakhouse brand, comes to mind.  I don't think I'd buy this Soy Vay brand dressing again.  This dressing has a really oily feeling in my mouth (I even poured some of the oil off of the top of the bottle and down the drain).  This dressing contains sesame oil and it's a product I am not accustomed to.  I'll let you be the judge.  Whatever the case may be, I am enjoying my Asian Turkey Burgers with a side of Asian Broccoli Slaw.  The combination of broccoli slaw, dried cranberries, and almonds is GREAT!  And it's super easy to throw together.




No comments: