Saturday, August 6, 2016

Food Prep Flops!



Some days, some recipes don't turn out as well as I may have hoped.  Last week, I made up some great Veggie Muffin Fritattas with sautéed spinach, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and turkey bacon.  This week I decided to replace the spinach with grated zucchini.  It did NOT occur to me that the zucchini did not wilt like spinach. As a result, I had too many ingredients in my muffin cups when I added the scrambled eggs and the muffin cups over flowed.  Some of the egg made it to the oven floor and it stunk up the place a bit.  I'll have to work on this recipe to get the proportions just right. Otherwise, I think the recipe was a good idea.



I was able to salvage the Veggie Muffin Fritattas despite the overflow. 

Another flop was my Make Ahead Overnight Oatmeal.  I put all the ingredients into my bowl as per usual... only this week, strawberries and blueberries were NOT on sale. Fortunately I had some chopped up strawberries and blueberries in the freezer from a few weeks back.  I threw the frozen berries on top of the almond milk, oats, yogurt, chia seeds, and honey.  If I would have just stirred these ingredients together BEFORE I added in the frozen berries, it would have been no problem.  But the minute I added in the frozen berries, EVERYTHING became a gloppy frozen mess and I could not stir it together.  I thought certainly the mess would be thawed out this morning so that I could finally stir it together. Nope, it's STILL a mess.  I have pockets of oats clumped together, pockets of chia seeds clumped together, and hard lumps of honey.  Lesson learned! 


What a mess!

I was bummed to think I wasted a bunch of good ingredients but it occurred to me that I can throw it into my blender and maybe add in a bit more almond milk... and I'll have an awesome smoothie.  


Crisis diverted!

No comments: