Friday, September 16, 2016

Blender Muffins: Flourless Banana Nut Bread Muffins



Flourless Blender Banana Nut Bread Muffins





After having such great success with Blender Muffins earlier this week (click HERE if you missed that recipe), I just had to make another batch. My husband did not care for the initial recipe since he did not like the combination of banana and chocolate chips.  He thought they'd be better if they were more like Banana Nut Bread. So this batch of muffins is for him.  He said they are great!

This week, I was out of Greek yogurt. The first blender muffin recipe I made called for 1/2 cup Greek yogurt. I ran out of Greek yogurt so I used 1/4 cup Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce with great results.  Since I was out of Greek yogurt this time around, I used 1/4 cup light sour cream and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. It seems that playing around with these ingredients is working, which make this such a great, flexible recipe. I love that the yogurt, applesauce, or (in this case) light sour cream all take the place of butter or oil in the recipe.



Flourless Banana Nut Bread Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients
2 cups old fashioned oats (use certified gluten free oats if desired)
2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1/4 cup Greek yogurt or light sour cream
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 Tbsps honey
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 scant cup chopped nuts (I used a combination of pecans and walnuts)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In your blender, pulse together all ingredients except for the chopped nuts. Pause to stir if ingredients do not blend well at first.  Blend until well combined.  Stir in all but 1/4 cup chopped nuts (reserve some to top the muffins before baking). 

2. Pour batter into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with paper cups.  (If using a silicone pan, you can skip the paper cups or generously spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray).  Sprinkle the reserved chopped nuts.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the tops are puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Mine were done at 12-13 minutes).

I hope you give blender muffins a try.  As you can tell, I am a big fan. They are so easy and they don't make too many dirty dishes.  I like to think of these as a healthier version of a muffin.  I am baking and freezing these muffins so that I can enjoy them for a few weeks and also keep the portions in control a bit.  Such a yummy treat!

No comments: