Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Flourless Blender Muffins: Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Muffins


Flourless Blender Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Muffins


What a fun idea.  Place all ingredients for muffins in a blender, blend away, pour into a muffin tins, and bake!  Ordinarily making muffins makes a lot more dirty dishes than this recipe.


This recipe is really great. I found it on the internet (Facebook) and I felt compelled to make it because: (A) The recipe looked pretty healthy, (B) I had all of the ingredients on hand to make the recipe, and (C) Every day is better with baked goods!  Turns out, while making this recipe, I ran out of honey, Greek yogurt, and baking powder, but the recipe still worked.  I needed 1/2 cup Greek yogurt but only had 1/4 cup so I made up the difference with unsweetened applesauce.


My husband was a little worried about theses muffins and grilled me about the ingredients. It was pretty funny. 

He specifically asked, "Is there FLAX in these muffins!?" 

Nope, I assured him: no flax.  We had some coffee and some muffins together this afternoon (Yes, retirement is so ROUGH!).  My husband said these muffins would be better without the chocolate chips.  He's never been a fan of banana bread with chocolate chips either.  He suggested these muffins would be better if they were made with spices to make them taste like banana bread.  I agree that these muffins would be great that way, too.  I'll try that next time.

What I like about this recipe is that the batter is a great base and one could easily change up the "add ins" to make up many variations:  raisins and walnuts, grated apple and cinnamon, grated carrot, blueberries, dried cranberries, orange zest, and pecans, and so on. 


Flourless Blender Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Muffins
From www.twobiteclub.com
  
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients
2 cups old fashioned oats (use certified gluten free oats if desired)
2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 1/4 cup Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
3 Tbsps honey (I used about 2 1/2 tablespoons... I ran out)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (I ran out and only used 1 teaspoon)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Optional: I added in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In your blender, pulse together all ingredients except for the chocolate chips and walnuts. Pause to stir if ingredients do not blend well at first.  Blend until well combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts (if using). 

2. Pour batter into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with paper cups.  (If using a silicone pan, you can skip the paper cups or generously spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray).  Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips, if desired.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the tops are puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Mine were done at 12-13 minutes).

Recipe Link:


No comments: