Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Cookies with a Surprising Ingredient


You'll never guess what is in these cookies!


Do you see it in there?  I'll give you a HINT!  It's something GREEN...


Zucchini!

I made and shared these cookies with my knitting class last week and everyone LOVED them!  I first saw these cookies on a blog I recently discovered called "Yellow Bliss Road".  The writer of this blog added in orange extract and some other ingredients I did not have.  I saw that the original blog source for the recipe (called "Two Peas and Their Pod") contained ingredients I did have on hand so I followed that recipe primarily.

Zucchini Coconut Chocolate Chip cookies
From www.twopeasandtheirpod.com

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes (I use unsweetened coconut)
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
My addition:  about 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine coconut oil and sugars, mix until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract. Next, add the shredded zucchini. Mix until combined.
4. Slowly add flour mixture until just combined. Stir in oats, coconut, chocolate chips, and nuts (if using).
5. Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges and set. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

These cookies are DELICIOUS!

Yellow Bliss Road Version can be seen here:


Two Peas and Their Pod Version can be seen here:

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/zucchini-coconut-chocolate-chip-cookies/?m


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the best cookies. We all loved them. We also love the raw pumpkin cookies too. Thank you for sharing with us. Ann

affectioknit said...

What a good idea...I'll have to get out some of that zucchini I just put in the freezer...

~Have a lovely day!