Saturday, October 29, 2016

Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili


Chipotle Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Since I see and "like" a lot of healthy recipes on Facebook, it seems that more and more healthy recipes show up on my Facebook feed.  This recipe popped up on my Facebook page not too long ago and I only had to shop for two ingredients to make it.  I am very glad I did. I LOVE this recipe.  I always think as chili as having some kind of beans, but this chili has none.
Since I like this recipe so much, I went over to the blog from which the recipe originates and I signed up to receive their new recipes in my e-mail inbox.  When I signed up, they sent me a great digital booklet with 15 crock pot recipes. Nice!  I look forward to trying some of those recipes as well.
For this soup, I did not follow the recipe directions.  Instead, I just cooked up the ground turkey and threw all of the ingredients in the slow cooker. It turned out great. The only other changes I made include adding extra chicken broth and more onion and sweet potato than called for. 
Here is the ORIGINAL recipe source (click HERE):
CHIPOTLE TURKEY AND SWEET POTATO CHILI (Adapted from www.therealfoodrds.com)
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 28-ounces canned or jarred diced tomatoes
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • ¼ - ½ tsp. ground chipotle powder (may substitute 1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
In a medium sized skillet, cook/brown/crumble the ground turkey.
Add the cooked ground turkey and the remaining ingredients to a slow cooker (Crock Pot).
Simmer on LOW for about 6 hours (or until sweet potatoes are desired tenderness); season with salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

****

I thought since the soup contained chipotle pepper (I used the dried spice), the soup might be really good with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt swirled in.  I have tried the soup with and without the yogurt and I prefer the soup without.

No comments: