Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Cookies for Breakfast



Breakfast Cookies


We went for a hike on Skyline Drive first thing Monday morning. When we got home, I brought a hot cup of coffee and the last of my Breakfast Cookies out on the back patio. I made these cookies on Saturday and brought them to the knit shop to share. These cookies taste healthy but they really grew on me. They are a snap to throw together. 


The recipe source is one of my favorite blogs called "Skinnytaste".
Here is the recipe link:  http://www.skinnytaste.com/chewy-chocolate-chip-oatmeal-breakfast/


The recipe calls for just three ingredients (quick notes, ripe bananas, and chocolate chips) and I added in some walnuts.  Easy, healthy, and tasty!  My ripe bananas were in my freezer so I thawed them a bit in the microwave.  My cookies did not spread out when they baked. I think my bananas were still really cold and that may have had something to do with it.  I added in extra chocolate chips to finish off the bag of chocolate chips in my pantry.  I would recommend against adding extra chocolate chips like I did. There were too many for the amount of dough.  The walnuts were a great addition; the crunch of the nuts was a nice contrast to the soft dough.

Breakfast Cookies: Oatmeal, Banana, Chocolate Chip, and Walnuts

2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup of uncooked quick oats
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray or use parchment paper. 
Combine the mashed bananas and oats in a bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.  Portion out the dough using a cookie scoop.  Cookies should measure one tablespoon in size.
Bake 15 minutes.  Makes 16 cookies. 
On the Skinnytaste blog, I found a similar recipe for a Peanut Butter & Jelly version of these cookies.  I look forward to trying this variety some day in the future; I'll keep you posted.  Here is that recipe.  http://www.skinnytaste.com/pb-j-healthy-oatmeal-cookies/


Enlarged to show texture. :)

No comments: