Friday, January 6, 2017

Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti


Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti

Well, let me start off by saying, I really screwed up when cooking this recipe for Zach the other day but it was still edible!  Zach was out shoveling snow for the neighbors so I was trying to time it just right so he'd have this hot meal when he came in from the bitter cold.  I cooked the shrimp and then kind of had everything on hold until just before he came in.  When I first glanced at the recipe, I thought it called for just a few tablespoons or teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, but just as I was about to add the lemon juice, I looked at the recipe again and would have sworn it called for 1/2 a cup of fresh lemon juice.  I madly squeezed more lemons and then added nearly 1/2 a cup of lemon juice to the simmering sauce.  Then I looked at the recipe again and, to my HORROR, I read I was supposed to add only "the juice of 1/2 of a lemon".  So yes, I added 4 times as much lemon juice as I was supposed to add!

But Zach was a trooper and he ate it and said it was good, but we agreed... next time, I should add 1/4 cup of lemon juice or less.  The recipe does not call for pasta. I cooked up about 8 ounces of spaghetti and added it to the lemony-garlicky-wine-butter sauce at the very end.  I had a taste of this and I thought it was pretty yummy, albeit very lemony!

Zach just reheated another portion of this in the microwave and he said it was great reheated.  He said the leftovers were less lemony.  And yes! I DO love alliterations.


Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients

    • 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
    • 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
    • 1 1/2 cups white wine, I use chardonnay
    • 1/2 fresh lemon, Juice only
    • 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter                                              
    • 1 tablespoon parsley
    • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 
    • optional:  add in 8 ounces of cooked spaghetti at the end if desired.                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Directions

  1. Heat cast iron skillet (or non-stick skillet) and add olive oil.
  2. Add shrimp and cook until tender and no longer translucent, reduce heat. Remove Shrimp and set aside.
  3. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Do not allow garlic to brown - it will make it bitter.
  4. Add white wine and lemon juice.
  5. Cook until wine is reduced by half. After it is reduced, add Italian seasoning.
  6. Reduce heat to low, and add butter. If pan is too hot, the butter will separate.
  7. Add shrimp back into sauce.  Add in pasta (if using); add parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  8. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan Cheese.

No comments: