Saturday, March 25, 2017

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches #12 Beach Club Unwich

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches
#12 Beach Club Unwich 

Do you have Jimmy John's sandwich shops in your area?

We do.  I love their sandwiches but I don't eat a lot of bread. A few months back, I noticed you can make any of their sandwiches an "unwich".  This means they wrap the sandwich contents in iceberg lettuce leaves instead of bread.  Nice way to eliminate some calories and some carbs. But don't get me wrong... their bread is GOOD!

The unwich I order is the #12 Beach Club and this is how it comes:

Turkey
Provolone cheese
Tomato
Cucumbers
Avocado Spread 
Mayonnaise (I ask for no mayo)

I really like this combination and feel like it's a pretty good choice when eating out, but it occurred to me that I could make the very same unwich at home. I tried it out yesterday and it was even better than the Jimmy John's version. I used really nice Mesquite Smoked Turkey from the deli at my Kroger store.  I used fresh avocado in place of the avocado spread that Jimmy John's uses.  Also, I used Romaine lettuce leaves in place of iceberg lettuce. I just layered the sandwich ingredients in a narrow Romaine lettuce leaf and then wrapped it all closed using an even larger, flatter Romaine lettuce leaf. It was kind of tricky to hold it all together and eat it, but it was light, refreshing, and delicious. 

Here are a few photos...





Ingredients:

2 to 3 slices deli turkey
1 slice provolone cheese (cut in half)
2 Romaine lettuce leaves (more if desired)
English cucumber slices
Roma tomato slices
1/4 of a ripe avocado


No comments: