Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps


Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps


Wow! I am so glad I tried this recipe.  I saw this recipe on Facebook before I went grocery shopping the other day so I was able to shop for ingredients.  This very well may be my very favorite new thing to eat right now. It was easy to throw together after I got all the ingredients chopped up.  It is so flavorful and is very healthy!  I am eating the dish cold on crisp Romaine lettuce leaves, but I am sure the dish is also fantastic hot or room temperature. 


As I was making this recipe, I realized the recipe called for light or low sodium soy sauce.  I only had salty tamari so I altered the recipe a bit so it would not be too salty.  I used 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup tamari, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. The sauce was just perfect.

  • Recipe Source:  www.cleanfoodcrush.com


  • Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps 

  • Makes about 4 servings 


  • Ingredients:
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
    2 Tbsps avocado oil or olive oil, divided (I used a little less)
    1/2 cup light soy sauce or coconut aminos (**)
    2 Tbsp water (**)
    1 Tbsp raw honey
    1 Tbsp cornstarch or potato starch (I used cornstarch)
    1 cup sliced green onions, divided (I used a few tablespoons of  fresh cilantro in place of green onions)
    1 fresh garlic clove, minced (I used 2 cloves of fresh garlic)
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    8 oz mushrooms, chopped
    1 cup grated carrots (I used 3 carrots)
    Romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves, for serving
    Optional toppings: roasted, chopped peanuts or sesame seeds (I omitted)

(**) I did not have low sodium soy sauce and I did not want the dish to be too salty so I used 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup tamari/soy sauce with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon honey for my sauce and it turned out perfectly!


  • Instructions:
    Heat 1 Tbsp (or less) of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium- high heat. Add chicken and sautee for about 4-5 minutes, or until cooked through, tossing occasionally. Transfer chicken to a plate. 


  • While chicken is cooking, whisk together soy sauce, water, cornstarch and honey, set aside.

  • Heat remaining oil (or less) in the same skillet over medium- high heat. Add garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms, carrots and sauté for 3 minutes. Pour the sauce into the skillet.  Add chicken, toss and warm through. 


  • Sprinkle with chopped peanuts or sesame seeds (if desired), green onions (or cilantro) and serve over lettuce leaves.


No comments: