Friday, April 28, 2017

Slow Cooker Banana Nut Steel Cut Oats (Make Ahead)


Slow Cooker Banana Nut Steel Cut Oats


Wow, these are NOT impressive photos whatsoever.  Sorry about that. Whatever the case may be, I am glad I have made this recipe.  I found this recipe on Facebook and, since I had all the ingredients on hand, I felt obligated to make it. It's like an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I love making steel cut oats in the slow cooker and freezing the individual portions.  I reheat each portion with a gob of unsweetened almond milk.  It is easier to reheat the frozen portions if you let them thaw out first (in the refrigerator over night at a minimum).  I also topped my oats today with a few more banana slices and a few more walnuts. Yum! This recipe is not very sweet so you may wish to add a little brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup when you enjoy your Banana Nut Steel Cut Oats.

Slow Cooker Banana Nut Steel Cut Oats
Adapted from www.thelemonbowl.com (*)

1 cup steel cut oats
1 banana, mashed (I used 1 1/2 bananas)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I added a little extra)
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
2 cups water
2 tablespoons flax seed meal (optional)
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used kosher salt)

Toppings when serving:  banana slices, brown sugar/honey/maple syrup if desired

Place all ingredients in slow cooker and stir until well combined.
Cover with lid and cook on LOW setting for 1 1/2 hours and stir well especially along the bottom edges to loosen any oats that may be sticking; cook an additional 30 minutes if needed.  Serve immediately.

If making this as a large batch and you would like to freeze individual portions (see photo below), allow the oatmeal to cool by removing the slow cooker's lid and removing the ceramic crock from the slow cooker. When the oats are approximately room temperature, portion out the oats using a small plastic container or measuring cup. I made 8 servings which were slightly more than 1/2 each.  Next plop the individual portions onto a cookie sheet which has been lined with aluminum foil (I spray a little non-stick spray on the aluminum foil first).  Place the cookie sheet into the freezer until the oatmeal mounds freeze/harden and then transfer them all to a gallon sized zip close plastic bag.  It's easiest to reheat these portions if you allow them to thaw in the refrigerator at least over night. To reheat, I pour a generous amount of unsweetened almond milk over each portion and microwave on HIGH for about 2 minutes. Top as desired with additional banana slices, walnuts, and brown sugar/syrup/honey.


(*)  I really only made slight changes to this recipe.  I added in more banana than the original recipe called for and I added in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds.  The main change I made to this recipe is cooking time.  The original recipe indicates you can cook the oats overnight in the slow cooker on LOW for 8 hours.  My experience has been that it only takes about 2 hours to cook steel cut oats in the slow cooker. I have read, however, that you can place all they oatmeal ingredients into a glass bowl that will fit into your slow cooker and then add enough water to fill the lower half of your slow cooker.  That way the oats will cook more gently/slowly and you can cook the oats overnight on LOW and it will be ready for you in the morning.  I've not tried this method myself, but if you see recipes that call for cooking oatmeal OVERNIGHT in the crock of your slow cooker, proceed with caution. You might end up with overcooked and crusty oatmeal.



No comments: