Saturday, April 29, 2017

Waldorf Salad with Cottage Cheese


Waldorf Salad with Cottage Cheese

I am not sure what made me think up this combination; I think I was lying in bed one morning and it just sort of *popped* into my head. 

Have you ever had Waldorf Salad?  My mom made it sometimes... I remember it on our Thanksgiving table a time or two.  I think my mom's version of Waldorf Salad had apple, celery, walnuts, raisins, and mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip).  Good stuff!  I also had Waldorf Salad at my mother-in-law's house.  I think her version had apples, grapes, celery, and walnuts or pecans, but her salad was made with whipped heavy cream that was slightly sweetened.  Also good stuff!

Here is a lighter and super easy version of Waldorf Salad with Cottage Cheese.  I did not really measure my ingredients; I just sort of tossed things in a bowl and gobbled it up.  It is GOOD (and healthy)!

RECIPE

1/2 to 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 apple, chopped (I used a Gala apple)
2 tablespoons celery, chopped
1 tablespoon raisins
1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
a dash or two of ground cinnamon

In a serving dish, top cottage cheese with remaining ingredients.  Dig in! Enjoy!

No comments: