Breakfast BLT Salad
This recipe comes from one of my very favorite blogs called "Skinnytaste" (www.skinnytaste.com). I have really been on a kale salad kick lately and I am on a mission to find the ultimate kale salad. I loved the toppings on this salad... I used hard cooked eggs, grape tomatoes, and chopped turkey bacon. The original recipe called for diced avocado but I had none. I substituted feta cheese and I loved that. The thing I did not care for in this recipe was that I thought the dressing was a little bit lacking in the flavor department. The salad is simply dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, as well as salt and pepper. I used really cheap red wine vinegar and I wonder if a nicer quality vinegar could have made a difference. I just don't know. The recipe directions specify that the kale should be "massaged". I think that this process is recommended to soften up the somewhat tough kale leaves. I did not really massage my kale. Instead, I put my kale, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper, in a plastic storage container, topped it with the lid, and shook the heck out of it. I guess I was just not feeling the whole "massage your kale" thing.
Here is the recipe from www.skinnytaste.com blog. I am sure I will make this BLT Breakfast Kale Salad again but I might try it with a different dressing. I just made up a Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing that I plan to try in another kale salad tomorrow. I am thinking this dressing might be good with the BLT Kale Salad as well.
BLT Breakfast Kale Salad
- 3 cups shredded Lacinto kale (no stems)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 4 strips cooked center cut bacon, chopped (I used turkey bacon)
- 2 ounces sliced avocado (I used crumbled feta cheese)
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- In a bowl combine the kale, olive oil, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Massage with your hands for about 3 minutes, until the kale softens.
- Cook eggs to desired likeness (I used hard boiled eggs)
- Divide the kale between two bowls, top with bacon, tomatoes, avocado (or feta cheese) and egg.
- Finish with pinch of salt and pepper.
Recipe Source: http://www.skinnytaste.com/breakfast-blt-salad/
I made this salad as part of my "food prep" session the other day. I often do food prep sessions like this on the day I go to the grocery store. On my food prep day, I made hard boiled eggs, I washed and chopped kale, I cleaned and hulled strawberries, I put celery sticks and baby carrots in water, I made ground turkey in marinara sauce to have with zoodles, and I portioned out some salads with hard boiled eggs. In the photo you can also see a big container homemade granola; I'll have that with cottage cheese and applesauce or Greek yogurt and fruit. Eating clean and healthy is delicious and easy!