Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Lemon Dijon Kale Salad




Lemon Dijon Kale Salad



I enjoyed this kale salad this week.  Above you can see a bed of kale, a hard boiled egg, and a some chopped walnuts as well as some Craisins.  Great additions to any salad.  This week I tried a Lemon Dijon salad dressing; I made it in the blender.


The weird thing about this dressing is that it calls for an egg yolk... a pasteurized egg yolk. I looked all over my egg carton for the word "pasteurized" and I did NOT find it.  I decided to make the dressing anyway.  I know we've been told to not eat raw eggs due to a risk of salmonella, but truth be told... I have eaten a lot of raw cookie dough containing raw eggs in my 48 plus years and I've lived to tell about it... so I plunged ahead with this recipe.  But of course, feel free to seek out pasteurized eggs if the raw egg thing creeps you out.

This dressing recipe comes from "Fixate".  I have access to these recipes on-line since I am a www.beachbody.com customer.  I download my workouts from Beachbody but they also have videos of cooking demonstrations.  This Lemon Dijon dressing is very lemony but I like the dressing's creaminess.  I also like that the dressing does not separate after being refrigerated. I've tried a number of homemade dressings with extra virgin olive oil and the dressing coagulates in a very undesirable manner.  That was not the case with this dressing. Finally, I recommend something sweet in your salad when you have this dressing to offset the dressing's tartness.  Dried cranberries are good, as are chopped apple. 

Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing
Recipe from "Fixate" on www.beachbody.com

1 large egg yolk, pasteurized
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions:  Place all ingredients in a blender EXCEPT for the olive oil.  Blend until combined.  Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, with the blender running, until dressing is well combined. 


1 comment:

Brayden Moses said...

Hi nice reading your bloog