Thursday, May 18, 2017

Oatmeal Cookies with Walnuts and Raisins


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Walnuts and Raisins

I was planning to make some cookies to bring to my knitting class about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I planned to make the recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies which appears on the lid of the Quaker brand Old Fashioned Oats but that recipe called for milk and I had none.  Thankfully, there was also a good looking cookie recipe on the Kroger brand Old Fashioned Oats container.  I made that recipe and the cookies were delicious!  When I made the cookies, I ran out of time to bake them all; I had to get to my knitting class on time.  I had frozen some of the dough balls and I found them today when I was making soup.  I was so happy to bake up these last seven cookies today.  What a nice treat!  My only change to the recipe was that I added in 1 cup of raisins. 

Oatmeal Cookies with Walnuts and Raisins (from Kroger)

1 cup of margarine or butter, softened (I used unsalted butter)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups Old Fashioned Oats (not instant or quick cooking)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Cream butter or margarine with sugars until smooth; add in eggs and vanilla & mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine and blend thoroughly the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.  Beat into the creamed mixture. Stir in the oats, walnuts, and raisins.
Drop by rounded tablespoons on to parchment lined cookie sheets.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

NOTE:  Dough freezes well.  Portion out dough (rounded tablespoons) and freeze in zip close plastic bags.  Allow to thaw before baking.

No comments: