Friday, July 14, 2017

Frozen Yogurt Dog Treats with Peanut Butter, Flax, and Honey


Frozen Yogurt Dog Treats

I am trying to make dog treats at home since we are discovering some food sensitivities in our boy dog, Brutus.  The vet said it's likely Brutus is sensitive to chicken. Apparently that is very common.  A long while back, we also thought Brutus might be sensitive to wheat as well.  So a week or so ago, I set out to make some treats that contained no chicken or chicken by products (also no eggs) and no wheat.

I found a recipe that called for yogurt and peanut butter; at the last minute I decided to add in some flax seed meal and honey.  My thought process being... if the dogs don't like them, then I WILL EAT THEM.

Frozen Yogurt Dog Treats
1 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2% Fage brand)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon ground flax meal

Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.  Stir until ingredients are nearly combined.  Scoop all into a gallon sized plastic bag.  Snip one corner of plastic bag with scissors.  Use the plastic bag like a pastry bag and squeeze the yogurt mixture out onto a parchment lined cookie sheet through the hole in the bag's corner.  You can portion the treats out as small or as large as you would like and depending upon your dog's size.  I made very small dollops which were about the size of Hershey's Kisses (or smaller).  Place cookie sheet in freezer.  Freeze for about 1 hour and then transfer the treats to a glass or plastic container with a tight fitting lid.  Store in the freezer.


VERDICT:  Sandy really likes these treats. She loves all things DAIRY. Cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, cheese, and so on.  Brutus is not a fan of the frozen yogurt treats.  Since I used Greek yogurt, these treats are very tart.  I am not sure if is Brutus is not a fan because they are frozen or because of the tart taste.  

RECIPE SOURCE:

No comments: