Saturday, July 15, 2017

Oat, Peanut Butter, and Banana Dog Treats


Oat, Peanut Butter, and Banana Dog Treats

I am posting about my efforts to make dog treats at home.  Our boy dog, Brutus, seems to have some food sensitivities and we are trying to make treats which contain no chicken or chicken by products (including eggs) and no wheat.  The dogs liked these treats but the recipe needs some work. I found the recipe on line on a blog called "Damn Delicious" and, and right away, I questioned how the "dough" would hold together.  I think it might be a good idea to pulverize the oats (or just some of the oats) in the food processor before making this cookie dough.  I just made a half of a batch.  I will try this recipe again since the dogs seemed to like them.  I tried the cookies myself.  I was of the opinion that the cookies were good but would be better if they were drenched in semi-sweet chocolate!  :) 

Oat, Peanut Butter, and Banana Dog Treats

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups old fashioned oats, or more, as needed
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine oats, bananas, peanut butter and coconut oil. Add an additional 2 tablespoons oats at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
  3. Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.  Alternatively, use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough and flatten the cookies with your fingers before baking.
  4. Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.

RECIPE SOURCE:

No comments: