Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Peanut Butter with Flax & Chia Seeds



I finally got to go to a Trader Joe's Grocery Store a few months back.  I have heard other food bloggers go on and on about Trader Joe's over the years and I never knew what the fuss was.  Turns out I think Trader Joe's is a pretty cool store, too.  My first observation was that the Trader Joe's store was much smaller than I expected.  So far, I've tried Trader Joe's brand herbal tea (Berries & Cherries), peanut butter, and almond butter.  The Trader Joe's nearest to me is about 1 1/2 hours away so I don't plan to shop there frequently.

One of the products I got is the Crunchy Peanut Butter (above) with Flax & Chia Seeds.  The only ingredients are peanuts, salt, flax seeds and chia seeds (no added sugar or fat).  This is the kind of peanut butter that separates and requires refrigeration.  It occurred to me I could buy natural peanut butter at my local grocery store and add in flax and chia seeds myself.  I did just that a few weeks ago and it's great.  This works well with natural peanut butter (without added sugar and fat) because these peanut butters are kind of loose and drippy at room temperature so it's relatively easy to stir in the seeds.  Once you stir in the seeds, you need to store the peanut butter in the fridge.

To this 15 ounce jar of Natural Peanut Butter (Kroger brand), I added in three teaspoons of chia seeds and three teaspoons of flax seeds.  It's great on bananas, it's great on apple slices, it's great on toast with honey, it's great on a spoon!   I think I actually like my version of this doctored up peanut butter a little bit better than the Trader Joe's version. Maybe there is a little bit more salt in the Kroger peanut butter.





Above:  Close up!  Yum!!!




This past week, I made up little veggie snack boxes.  I put about a tablespoon of the peanut butter in a plastic shot glass so I could have peanut butter and celery.



No comments: