Thursday, December 7, 2017

Vanilla Chai Chia Granola



Vanilla Chai Chia Granola



I tried a new granola recipe yesterday.  I like it. I think the pecans give the granola a different texture than some of my homemade granolas.  This is adapted from a blog called "Real Food Dietitians".  You can see their website HERE. If you sign up for their notifications from their blog, they send nice "e-booklets" with great recipes.  I've received a nice collection of soup recipes from them for example.  This granola recipe came in an "e-booklet" called "Healthy Holiday Treats: Featuring Ten Giftable Treat Recipes".  The recipe I called for "Made in Nature" brand dried plums.  I omitted the plums.  I added in chia seeds and sesame seeds and used honey in place of the recommended brown rice syrup or maple syrup.  The honey in my cupboard had changed in texture; it was becoming grainy with sugar crystals and very difficult to pour.  This recipe was a great use for my honey since the honey and coconut oil and spices are all simmered a bit together before adding it all to the oat mixture.

Above you can see my breakfast.  I had cottage cheese, unsweetened apple sauce, ground cinnamon, and some granola. Good breakfast and so easy first thing in the morning.

Below... granola toasting away in the oven. Boy, my house sure smelled great yesterday!



Vanilla Chia Chia Granola
Adapted from "Real Food Dietitians"

Ingredients
3 cups old fashioned/rolled oats (gluten free if desired)
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1⁄2 cup honey (may substitute brown rice syrup or maple syrup)
2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1⁄2 tsp. cloves
1⁄2 tsp. cardamom
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 325 ̊F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl combine the oats, coconut flakes, almonds, pecans, sesame seeds, and chia seeds. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine honey, coconut oil and spices.
Stir continuously and heat just until warm. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
4. Add the honey mixture to the oat mixture and stir until evenly coated. Transfer
to sheet pan.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring halfway through baking time.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before packaging up.  Store in an airtight container.  

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Sounds yummy...and I'm right now out of granola...

~Have a lovely day!