Saturday, May 26, 2018

Crockpot Chicken "Cool Ranch"



Crockpot Chicken "Cool Ranch"

This is absolutely the easiest crockpot recipe EVER.  I had this in the crockpot within five minutes of bringing in the groceries yesterday and everyone loved it when we sampled it about four hours later.

I have been trying out some new recipes this week while Zach and his girlfriend Sylvia are visiting. Zach will be living in an apartment next year and will need to cook. I am hoping I can convince him to take one of my crockpots with him since there are so many great and easy crockpot meals.

This recipe comes from "Family Fresh Meals".  Many of the meals on this cooking blog are easy with just a few ingredients; just the kind of a recipe a busy college student may be inclined to make.  For this recipe you need a few pounds of chicken breasts, a packet of taco seasoning, a packet of Ranch dressing mix, and a 14 ounce can of chicken broth. Since all of these items have a lot of sodium in them, I opted for low sodium chicken broth as well as low sodium taco seasoning.  I don't know if you can purchase low sodium Ranch dressing mix or not, but I do know you can find recipes to make your own Ranch dressing mix on the Internet.  You just need items such as buttermilk powder and a bunch of dried herbs.  Anyway... I am glad I opted for the low sodium products; the chicken was very flavorful and plenty salty.  You can use this shredded chicken in tacos, on tostadas, in burritos, on salads.  When this was done cooking yesterday, we all just ate a little bit of the shredded chicken with a fork.  We all liked it!  I will definitely be making this recipe again.  One note about the recipe:  the recipe calls for 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts; I think I used about 2 1/3 pounds of chicken breasts and it still was very flavorful.  Also, the recipe calls for cooking the chicken for 5 to 5 1/2 hours, but my chicken breasts shredded easily after just 4 hours in the crockpot.

Here is the recipe link on the Family Fresh Meals blog:

https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/05/cool-ranch-crockpot-chicken-tacos-or-tostadas.html



No comments: