Sunday, June 10, 2018

Spiced Yogurt Marinated Chicken




Spiced Yogurt Marinated Chicken

This recipe comes from a blog called "Once Upon a Chef".  I made a few changes.  I used boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins instead of chicken thighs. I added turmeric and I used reduced fat Greek yogurt (instead of full fat yogurt). I eliminated the olive oil from the marinade (I forgot it).  I also grilled my chicken indoors on my grill pan and did not make this into kebabs. I LOVE this chicken. I can't stop eating it.  It's good hot or cold.

SPICED YOGURT MARINATED CHICKEN

Adapted from "Once Upon a Chef"
Original recipe link is here: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/middle-eastern-chicken-kebabs.html

  • 1/2 cup plain 2% Fage Greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/16 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (reduce to 1/4 teaspoon if you don't like heat)
  • finely grated lemon zest (from 1/2 of one lemon) 
  • freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1/2 of one lemon)
  • 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless raw chicken tenderloins

Place all ingredients (EXCEPT for the chicken) in a gallon size plastic bag with a zip closure; zip the bag closed.  Mash ingredients around with your hands to combine.  Add in the chicken tenderloins, zip bag closed, and mash around ingredients until all the chicken pieces are coated in the spiced yogurt.  Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, longer if desired (I allowed mine to marinate overnight).

This can be grilled indoors or outdoors. I grilled my chicken on my grill pan over medium to medium high heat on my stove top.  I start off with medium high heat but then reduce the temperature to medium after a few minutes so the outside does not brown too much before the inside is cooked through.  Flip once.  Cook until internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.

No comments: