Sunday, July 22, 2018

Summer Tuna Salad with Chickpeas and Tomatoes





Summer Tuna Salad with Chickpeas & Tomatoes

If you take a look at my last few posts on this blog, you will see a lot of similarity in the recipes.  This recipe just sort of happened when I came home really hungry last Thursday.  On Thursdays, I hang out at a local Farmers Market.  My friends, Jacki and Janet, demonstrate spinning wool on their spinning wheels.  They have some items on display such as wool sheared from a sheep in various stages of preparation... washed, unwashed, combed, carded... and then Jacki and Janet demonstrate how the yarn is actually spun on the wheel. They also have some hanks of yarn on display; a hank of yarn is yarn that is ready to be knit up.  I sit there and knit and chat in the shade of the big, beautiful trees and I talk to folks about knitting if they are interested.  It's a fun way to spend the morning but I came home hungry and hot this past Thursday.

I really liked a salad I had tried earlier in the week... white beans, tuna, red onion, arugula, and a vinaigrette dressing with dried herbs.  On Thursday, I was thinking of making up a similar salad with a Greek-sort-of-dressing with fresh and dried oregano but I saw my homemade "Merlino's Belvedere Salad Dressing" sitting on the counter top so I decided to use that. I was hot and hungry and just wanted to eat! This salad turned out so good.  I had it all gobbled up in two days. So easy and refreshing on a hot summer day.


Summer Tuna Salad with Chickpeas & Tomatoes

1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
2 5-ounce cans tuna packed in water, drained (I used albacore tuna)
1 very small Vidalia (sweet) onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 to 2/3 cup)

about 1 cup grape tomatoes
6 tablespoons of the prepared Merlino's Belvedere Salad Dressing (see recipe below)
Salad greens if desired (optional)

In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, tuna, onion, and tomatoes.  Top with about 6 tablespoons of the salad dressing; gently toss to coat.  If desired, serve over a bed of your favorite greens.  I had iceberg lettuce on hand, but spinach or any other leafy green would be great.  This salad is also good without any leafy greens.  

Merlino's Belvedere Salad Dressing

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup light olive oil (or peanut oil)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried basil

Measure all ingredients into a bowl; whisk to combine. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously to combine all ingredients.

No comments: