Saturday, August 11, 2018

Crockpot Santa Fe Chicken




Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken

This is a recipe from one of my favorite cooking blogs "Skinny Taste".  You can find the recipe link HERE.  I made just a few changes to the recipe and I love it! I know I'll definitely make this recipe again.  The recipe called for fresh cilantro and some scallions.  I did not add them to my dish but I did chop up some green onions and added them as a garnish.  I also added a little dollop of plain Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream) to my serving and that added a nice cool and creamy element.  You can serve this over rice but I skipped the rice.  I found this recipe to be a little soupy; you could definitely just add about one cup of chicken broth if you think you'd like your meal to be a little less soupy.  

Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken from www.skinnytaste.com

Ingredients:

  • 24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast (I used chicken tenderloins ***)
  • 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
  • 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used dark red kidney beans instead)
  • 8 oz frozen corn (I used a 15 ounce can of whole kernel sweet corn, drained)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I omitted)
  • 14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth (can use less if desired)
  • 3 scallions, chopped (I omitted)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
  • salt to taste

Directions:

  1. Combine chicken broth, beans (drained), corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot.
  2. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.
  3. Cook on low for 8 – 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. [*** I used frozen chicken tenderloins which are smaller than chicken breasts. My chicken was perfectly shred-able after 5 hours on Low.  I think my Crock Pot runs a little on the hot side.]
  4. Thirty minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred.

No comments: