Saturday, September 22, 2018

Peachy Salsa Chicken (Crock Pot)



Peachy Salsa Chicken



I have been using my Crock Pot (Slow Cooker) a LOT the past several weeks.  It has been unseasonably, record-breaking hot in Southern Colorado lately so it's nice to not heat up the house with the oven.



This recipe could not be more simple.  My mother-in-law gave me this jar of Peach Salsa from Trader Joe's a few months back and I wasn't sure what to do with it.  I decided to throw it in the Crock Pot with some partially thawed raw chicken tenderloins and some chopped up bell peppers and onions.  At the end, I thickened up the sauce just a bit with some corn starch and water.  I used the Peachy Salsa Chicken in my meal prep as you can see above:  steamed broccoli, farro, and chicken.  Good stuff.

You may not have a Trader Joe'e near you; I don't either. I scanned the shelves of my local grocery store and actually found a few different brands of peach salsa. I am also thinking, in the future, I will try this with a different brand of salsa (such as Pace brand) and add in some fresh (peeled) peaches or even some canned peaches.  I bet it would be great.  This recipe is just an idea.  Take the idea and run with it...

Peachy Salsa Chicken

1 1/2 pounds to 2 pounds of raw chicken tenderloins (boneless/skinless), mine were only partially thawed
1 jar of peach salsa (about 12 ounces in size)
1 small coarsely chopped sweet onion
1 or 2 coarsely chopped sweet bell pepper (I used some red and some orange bell pepper)

Cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through (all Crockpots seem to vary but small chicken tenderloins cook much more quickly than larger boneless, skinless chicken breasts).  You could substitute chicken breasts; just cook longer.

If you would like your sauce to be thicker, combine about 3 teaspoons of corn starch and 5 teaspoons of cold water in a small bowl; stir well until dissolved.  Stir into sauce in Crock Pot and cook about 30 minutes longer.

No comments: