Sunday, September 23, 2018

Crockpot Oatmeal and Apples



Crockpot Oatmeal and Apples

I don't know about you, but this time of year I seriously crave things made with apples.  The first recipe that comes to mind is apple crisp my mom used to make; it has a topping made from oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter and is baked in the oven until golden brown.

But if I made apple crisp, then I'd want ice cream to go with it, and I don't need ice cream... so I decided to try out a Crockpot Oatmeal recipe with many of the same ingredients: apples, oats, and cinnamon.  If you make this, your house will smell amazing.  You're welcome!

This is probably the simplest recipe ever.  Chop up some apple, peeling them and coring them first.  I used two huge and one small Honeycrisp apple.  Put them apples in the bottom of your Crockpot.

Next, sprinkle on 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon... or a little more.  Add in a pinch of salt too if you'd like.

The recipe also calls for 1/3 cup brown sugar.  I substituted about 1 1/2 tablespoons of maple syrup.  



Next, cover the apples with two cups of rolled (old fashioned oats... not the quick cooking kind).  You should do a better job of spreading out the oats than I did.  Aim for a nice even layer as if you are trying to cover up the apples.




Then, pour 4 cups of water over everything.  Do NOT stir.  


Place the lid on your Crockpot and cook on LOW.  

My oats and apples were done in about 3 or 3 1/2 hours. I think my Crockpot is stuck on HIGH.  This means I need a new Crockpot. Which his a good thing because I REALLY wish I had a red Crockpot.  

Since my Crockpot might cook a bit faster than yours, I am providing the link to the original recipe source so you can see the cooking time recommendations.  I have cooked a lot of oatmeal in my various Crockpots and I think I would end up with a burnt, crusty mess if I cooked oatmeal as long as recommended in many recipes.  That being said, I know my mom's Crockpot is rather old and it cooks really slowly, so I'll let you be the judge based on your experience(s) with your Crockpot.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE ORIGINAL RECIPE:  Click HERE.

Feel free to freeze individual portions of your oatmeal. It thaws and reheats well.

I reheat each portion with a bit of almond milk and sometimes stir in a little peanut butter. Soooo good!  

Happy Fall! 






1 comment:

affectioknit said...

YUM!...I love oatmeal and apples...
~Have a lovely day!