Monday, October 29, 2018

Saturday Pumpkin Cooking & Baking Frenzy (ALL GLUTEN FREE)



Saturday Pumpkin 
Cooking & Baking Frenzy

Last time I was at Sam's Club, I bought a three-pack of BIG cans of pumpkin puree.  A big can (29 ounces) is enough to make two pumpkin pies, but I did not want to make pie. I wanted to try out a few pumpkin recipes.  I hate to admit it, but once in awhile I open up a big can of pumpkin and then end up throwing some away because I never quite get around to using it all up in recipes.  I used up every last bit of pumpkin this time around; here's how...

Recipe #1 was a Crockpot recipe:  Slow Cooker Black Bean Pumpkin Turkey Chile from Ambitious Kitchen.  This recipe calls for 15 ounces of pumpkin puree.  Here is the recipe LINK.

You can see the chili in the photo below.  Sandy is licking her chops.  I think she was wanting some of the bread.  This chili turned out really thick; so thick in fact that I am adding a little water to each portion when I reheat it.  The chili does call for 3/4 cup of chicken broth; I used water since I did not want to open up a big 32 ounce carton of chicken broth for just 3/4 cup. Next time I make this recipe, I will use a can of chicken broth (1 3/4 cups) so the chili is not quite so thick.  Also, for this chili, I used two jalapenos instead of just one.  I wanted it hot!



Recipe #2 is a vegan recipe... looks like corn bread doesn't it?  This is actually "No CORN Cornbread".  It's made from pumpkin puree, chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour, non-dairy milk, and some other ingredients. I really love this corn bread with the chili.  One thing I'll point out about this recipe is that it calls for cumin.  If you are planning to have this "corn" bread with chili, the cumin in the cornbread is great. But if you'd like to have your corn bread with some jam or honey or maple syrup for a sweet treat, I would recommend leaving the cumin out.  The link for the "corn" bread recipe is HERE.



Here are some pretty photos of that "corn" bread.  The pumpkin gives it a nice color!







Recipe #3 is a healthy and yummy treat.  I've made this recipe a few times before.  Flourless Pumpkin Blender Muffins with Walnuts and Raisins.  The recipe link is HERE.  When I made these muffins most recently, I omitted the brown sugar and added in a little extra maple syrup.  A note about this recipe:  The oats get blended up better when you make this recipe in a blender.  I used a food processor this time and the oats did not get as pulverized.  If you make this recipe in a food processor, you might want to pulse the oats in the food processor all by themselves to break them down first before adding in the other ingredients.  My husband has been gobbling these muffins up even though they are not that sweet.  He has a real sweet tooth so I was glad to see him enjoying these as a HEALTHY treat!



Recipe #4 is a great recipe if you have just a little bit of pumpkin puree left... my Pumpkin Spice Granola takes only 1/4 cup of pumpkin.  This recipe is also great because you pop the granola in the oven for just 10 minutes and then you turn the oven off and let it sit over night or all day long. No stirring, no monitoring, no worries about it burning. It turns out perfectly every time.  This recipe is also very flexible.  As written, the recipe calls for almonds and pepitas (pumpkin seeds).  In this batch, I used up left over bits of sunflower seeds and pepitas and I threw in some chia seeds for good measure.  I probably make this granola a little differently each time I make it.  You might only have walnuts or pecans on hand; add them to your granola... no problem!  You can find the Pumpkin Spice Granola recipe HERE.  This recipe makes a ton of granola.  You might want to share some with a friend or a neighbor.  If you like to give treats to folks during the holiday season, you might consider this recipe.  When I baked this batch of granola, I left out the brown sugar since I don't mind things less sweet and I am trying to not add sugar and sweeteners to what I consume.  Whatever the case may be, you can see that this is a very flexible recipe.



DO YOU STILL HAVE A LITTLE PUMPKIN LEFT AND YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT TO MAKE?  Here are all of the pumpkin recipes I have featured on my blog.  Click HERE to see them all.

A few quick items before I go.  All of the four recipes I made this past Saturday have pumpkin puree as an ingredient, but they all have another ingredient in common?

Maple syrup!  All four recipes call for maple syrup.

Also, all of the recipes I made are gluten free.

No comments: