Thursday, October 11, 2018

Broccoli Apple Carrot Salad



Broccoli Apple Carrot Salad 

Not too long ago, I posted about a recipe with broccoli, chickpeas, honey crisp apples, dried cherries (or cranberries), and pecans.  It was so good; I was sad when it was all gone.  That recipe was from a blog called "Ambitious Kitchen".  I make a lot of the recipes I see on that blog and they have all been EXCELLENT!

After making the Ambitious Kitchen broccoli apple salad recipe, I had some leftover ingredients.  I had purchased a really BIG bag of prewashed broccoli florets from Sam's Club.  Yesterday I made up a slightly different version of the broccoli apple salad. I left out the chickpeas and substituted some different ingredients based upon things I had on hand.  The dressing is almost the same; the only change I made was to use garlic powder in place of fresh garlic. Sometimes I am just too lazy to chop fresh garlic.  I think my altered version of the salad turned out pretty good.  I love how crunchy this salad is and I think the leftovers are even better the next day.




Broccoli Apple Carrot Salad
Inspired by a recipe on www.ambitiouskitchen.com
Ingredients
  • For the salad
  • 8 to 10 ounces of broccoli florets, cut into small bite sized pieces
  • 1 large honey crisp apple, diced
  • 3 medium carrots, grated
  • 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/3 cup raisins

  • For the dressing:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • ½ tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
  • To garnish:
  • Extra cherries and pecans

Instructions
  1. In a small, dry skillet, over medium heat, toast the raw sunflower seeds. This should take 3 to 5 minutes.  Watch them carefully and stir frequently.  The seeds will turn golden brown in spots and will be very fragrant.  When done, spread the toasted seeds out onto a paper towel to cool.
  2. In a large bowl, add the broccoli, apples, carrots, and raisins. Set aside.
  3. Make the dressing by whisking together the following ingredients in a small bowl: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Immediately drizzle over salad. Add in the cooled sunflower seeds; toss all to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if necessary. 



No comments: