Friday, January 18, 2019

Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Toasted Walnuts and Raisins


Gluten-Free
Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Toasted Walnuts and Raisins


There are so many recipes out there these days using all sorts of flours. Almond flour, coconut flour, chickpea flour.  It's a little expensive to purchase some of these flours especially if you are not sure if you will like them or how you will use them.  I bought some chickpea flour several months ago after I saw a particular blogger posting tons of great looking recipes using the ingredient.  You can find many chickpea flour recipes on Camilla Saulsbury's blog "Power Hungry". 

Janet, a gal in my Tuesday knitting group, is sensitive to gluten so sometimes we chat about gluten-free cooking and baking.  I mentioned to here I was finding lots of coconut flour and almond flour recipes but I had not yet taken the plunge and purchased the flours.  She told me she was not a fan of coconut flour so she brought me what she had on hand so I could experiment with it. I think Janet said she found baking with coconut flour to be tricky or finicky.  I can't recall for sure.

This past week, I decided to try out a chickpea and coconut flour recipe. I was hoping they would turn out well so I could bring them to the Tuesday knitting group.  As I was whisking together the batter, it occurred to me that Janet had told me she would not make it to knitting this week!  Whoops! I brought the muffins to the knit shop and the gals liked them. I'll have to make them again for Janet!

Gluten-Free - Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Toasted Walnuts and Raisins

Ingredients:
¾ cup chickpea flour 
¼ cup coconut flour 
¼ teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
⅓ cup oil (I used soybean oil) 
1 egg  
4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
½ cup unsweetened soy milk, whole milk or almond milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (if desire, toast walnuts in a dry skillet until a few shades darker)
a few tablespoons of raisins

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Place paper or foil muffin liners in 8 spaces of muffin pan.  Spray the muffin liners with non-stick spray such as "Pam".

First, combine chickpea flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine.

In a separate bowl, place oil, egg, applesauce, soy milk, almond extract, and maple syrup. Stir well with a whisk.  Next, add wet to dry ingredients, and stir or whisk until smooth. Because the batter is gluten-free, it's ok to whisk vigorously to get any lumps out. 
  
Fill the 8 muffin liners evenly with batter. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Remove muffins from the tin and cool.

This recipe is based on a recipe I found on line which can be found HERE.

No comments: