Wednesday, August 7, 2019


Blackened Fish

I don't have a lot of fish recipes. I'd like to learn more ways to cook fish.  This is my husband's favorite fish; my son loves it too!  I was inspired to try making blackened fish after we had taken a family trip to New Orleans.  Blackened catfish was my husband's favorite meal in New Orleans.  It was easy enough to make up my owned blackened seasoning blend with spices I had on hand when we got back home.

Blackened Seasoning Blend 
Store in an air tight container at room temperature

2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons to 2 teaspoons dried (the original recipe called for 4 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 to 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar (omit for Whole30)
1 to 2 teaspoons salt (I use just 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper/cayenne (use less for less spicy)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Here's a little photo tutorial to show you how to make blackened fish.  In our kitchen, we have used flounder, tilapia, and swai.  I've not tried this spice rum with catfish but I bet it would be good (if you like catfish).  I'm comfortable pan frying fish such as flounder/tilapia/swai because it is sort of thin and easy to cook all the way through on the stove top.  I've also heard of blackened chicken but I've not yet tried that.  This might be a great spice rub to use on boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs on your outdoor grill.  You might just chose to omit the sugar, as I wonder if sugar would burn.  I'm no grilling pro.

Heat about two teaspoons of cooking fat in a large skillet over MEDIUM HIGH heat.  I typically use butter but we've run out of butter and have been using extra virgin olive oil; my husband says he notices no difference in taste in this recipe.

Blot both sides of the fish dry with a clean paper towel.  Brush the warm cooking fat on ONE SIDE of the fish and then sprinkle the blackened seasoning blend generously over the oil coated fish.






Place the fish in the skillet *seasoned side down*.  Reduce the heat from MEDIUM HIGH to MEDIUM.  Brush a little more cooking fat onto the SECOND SIDE of the fish in the skillet and then sprinkle the blackened seasoning blend generously over the unseasoned side of the fish.




Try to not move the fish around in the pan. Let it cook undisturbed on one side for about three minutes.  Carefully flip the fish over to cook the second side.  Add a little more cooking fat if that seems necessary.



Cook about three more minutes on the second side or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily.  

ENJOY!


No comments: