Sunday, August 11, 2019

Turkey Blueberry Sausage


Turkey Blueberry Sausage


Yes! You read that correctly!  Turkey Blueberry Sausage.  I tried another homemade turkey sausage this week and I liked this one too. This recipe comes from Ambitious Kitchen which is one of my favorite cooking blogs.  Since I am currently undertaking a Whole30 Challenge, I left out the maple syrup called for in the recipe and it was still delicious.  I used frozen berries in my sausage patties which I think made it easier to stir the berries in to the ground turkey.  I also did not use any cooking fat in the pan; I used a non-stick skillet.  I made my patties a little smaller than suggested in the original recipe.  Overall... a great recipe!  I will definitely make these sausages again.

Here is the recipe link:  Click 

Ingredients
  • 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey (do not use extra lean)
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (I omitted for Whole30)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried sage)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • ⅓ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil (for cooking; may omit if using a non-stick skillet)
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients besides the blueberries and oil in a large bowl and use your hands to mix until well combined. Add in blueberries and gently incorporate them into the meat. Form into 8 even sized patties, about 1/3 inch thick. Make sure the blueberries are tucked into the meat or they may pop out upon cooking.
  2. Add 1 teaspoon coconut oil to a nonstick skillet and place over medium heat. Add turkey patties and cook for about 5 minutes then flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until fully cooked.
Notes
Leftover turkey patties can be frozen, just place in a freezer safe container and reheat when needed.



No comments: