Sunday, August 4, 2019

Homemade Mayonnaise (Whole30)


Homemade Mayonnaise (Whole30)


Mayonnaise is something I typically avoid.  I've always thought of it as a really fatty indulgence I guess.  I've shared this past week that I have taken on a Whole30 Challenge.  Each time you prepare a plate of food, you strive to have loads to vegetables, a good source of protein, a little fruit, and a little healthy fat. The healthy fats can be avocado, nuts, coconut, olives, and even something like mayonnaise. But the catch is that you want a mayonnaise is free of sugar and other additives.  You can likely find "Whole30 Compliant" mayo at the store, but making mayo at home is surprisingly simple.  I must admit I had one failed attempt earlier this week.  I had the choice to use my blender or my food processor.  When I used the blender, the mayo did not thicken.  When I used my food processor, it came out beautifully.  If you have an immersion blender, apparently you can also make mayo in a vessel such as a Mason jar.

Since I did have one failed attempt at mayo making, I decided to watch a few videos to determine where I went wrong.  I watched this video HERE and another video HERE.  I think my blender is not enough of a "high speed" blender so I am thinking that is why my blender version did not work out.  Also the opening at the top of my blender is so big that the ingredients kept spurting out of the top of the blender when I had the blender turned on.  I was a big old mess.


Basic Mayonnaise (Whole30)

1 1/4 cups LIGHT olive (do not use EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil)
1 large egg (room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (more if desired)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (room temperature)

Place 1/4 cup of the olive oil, the egg, mustard powder, and salt in a blender or food processor.  Mix thoroughly. While the food processor or blender is running, slowly drizzle in the remaining 1 cup of olive oil (I had my food processor on high the entire time).  After you've added all the oil and the mixture has emulsified (it should be thick), add in the lemon juice, blending on low to incorporate. Store in the refrigerator.  Mayonnaise with thicken even further once refrigerated.  

I was pretty excited that this worked out!  It really was easy after all.  The first recipe I made with my homemade mayonnaise was a great tuna salad.  I don't have exact measurements for you, but here's an idea of what my ingredients were.
  • About 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
  • 1 can of tuna
  • 1 big stalk of celery, diced
  • a few tablespoons of diced onion
  • a squirt of Gulden's spicy mustard
  • a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (about 1/4 of a lemon)
  • Himalayan salt and ground black pepper
  • a generous sprinkle of dried dill weed
  • some chopped cherry tomatoes







No comments: