Thursday, August 1, 2019

Stuffed Sweet Potato for Breakfast (Whole30)


Stuffed Sweet Potato for Breakfast

Here is unusual breakfast!  I am currently doing a Whole30 Challenge.  On day 3, I woke up NOT wanting scrambled eggs and vegetables for breakfast.  I ended up having scrambled eggs and vegetables, but it got me looking around on the internet for something different for breakfast.  I came up with this idea and it was great!  It was a nice change of pace.  This is hardly a recipe but this is what I did.

  • Scrubbed a small sweet potato and poked a few holes in it.  Wrapped it in a paper towel and cooked it on HIGH 100 percent power until soft (3 to 5 minutes for a smallish sweet potato, but microwave ovens vary).
  • While the sweet potato was cooking, I tossed a few raw pecans in a dry skillet and toasted them a bit in the pan over medium heat.  You will see a few brown spots develop on the pecans and they will become more fragrant or nutty smelling. I set the toasted pecans aside to cool for a few minutes until I could chop them.
  • When the sweet potato was soft enough for my liking, I cut a slit down the center of the sweet potato and topped it with half of a banana (sliced), the toasted pecans, and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.  So good!  If you are not on a Whole30 diet, you could opt to add a little butter or margarine. If you are on Whole30, you could add in some nut butter or coconut oil or ghee. 
  • On the side, I had some Homemade Turkey Sausage.
I loved this breakfast!  Microwave cooked sweet potatoes are not the best, but it's too hot out to crank up my oven make a better baked sweet potato.  In the past, I've roasted sweet potatoes, wrapped in aluminum foil, in the slow cooker.  If I do that again soon, I'll share how that turns out.  

No comments: