Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Basic Turkey Sausage



Basic Turkey Sausage


I am kind of kicking myself for not trying to make my own turkey sausage at home sooner.  In the past, I have purchased Johnsonville brand pre-cooked turkey breakfast sausage (it comes in patties and links).  The packages are 9.6 ounces in size and cost a whopping $4.79 at my local grocery store when they are not on sale.  That's a lot of dough per pound when you do the math; I'll let you do the math because math is not my forte.  

In the recent past I've made four different kinds of turkey sausage and it is so simple.  I am enjoying the fact that my homemade turkey sausage is much less expensive (I can usually get ground turkey under $3.00 per pound) and I like that can control the ingredients in my sausage when making it at home.   

Here is the recipe for Banger Sausage with lemon and herbs (Click HERE).
Here is the recipe for Spicy Italian Sausage (Click HERE).
Here is the recipe for Turkey Blueberry Sausage (Click HERE).

Here is my latest turkey sausage:

BASIC BREAKFAST TURKEY SAUSAGE

1 pound ground meat (pork, turkey, or chicken... I use turkey)
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup finely minced onion (I opted to use about 1 teaspoon of dehydrated onion flakes)

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.  Form into 12 or 13 equal size patties. 

Heat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat.  You will be cooking the patties in 2 batches so as to not crowd the pan.  I use a non-stick skillet and I find no need to add oil to skillet; however, if desired or necessary, drizzle in a scant amount of preferred cooking oil in the skillet (coconut, olive oil, avocado oil) and swirl it around.  Add 1/2 the patties to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes; turn patties and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes until cooked through and no pink remains.  Repeat with remaining patties. 

In the photo at the top, you can see some of those yummy turkey sausages along side some fingerling potatoes, avocado, and some scrambled eggs with broccoli.  This is one of my favorite breakfasts! 

Enjoy!

No comments: