Friday, June 19, 2020

Shelf-stable Silken Tofu



Shelf-stable Silken Tofu

Whoa!  Where has the time gone.  I have not posted anything here for months.  You would think with the pandemic going on, I’d have so much time to write, but I guess I have just been doing lots of other things.
I have been cooking a ton, baking a little, and knitting a lot.  My cooking/baking has all been vegan and my knitting has all been socks. Socks, sock, socks.  

At the very beginning of March just as Coronavirus was popping up in America, my husband and I had a fun time attending a vegan cooking class with JL Fields at the Colorado Springs Vegan Cooking Academy (Colorado Springs, Colorado).  At the class, we made and sampled Onion “Fondue”, Chocolate Pudding, Baked Vegan Ricotta Kale Dip, Tarte Flambees, and Fleischschnacka.  Everything was delicious and vegan of course. 

The Chocolate Pudding was made with shelf-stable firm silken tofu.  Since it is shelf-stable, it is NOT in the refrigerated section of the grocery store and it is not packed in water like other tofu you may have seen.  At my favorite natural grocery store (Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage), I got two boxes of the silken tofu before we hunkered in at the beginning of the pandemic.  

Let me show you what I made with the silken tofu.



From a blog called “Clean and Delicious”

CLEAN EATING PUMPKIN PIE MOUSSE


We enjoyed the Pumpkin Pie Mousse a few different ways.  At the grocery store, in the freezer section right next to the Cool Whip, I found a vegan dessert topping called “Truwhip”.  I also enjoyed the Pumpkin Pie Mousse with plain Silk brand soy yogurt and some homemade granola.



Chocolate Pudding: a recipe from the JL Fields cooking class we attended.

Chocolate Pudding
6 ounces silken firm tofu
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Add all the ingredients to a food processor, pulse quickly to achieve a smooth, thick consistency. Scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl as necessary.  Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate overnight before serving.  

The Chocolate Pudding was also great with the Truwhip. 
 I also liked the Chocolate Pudding with sliced bananas.



From a blog called “The Happy Herbivore”

INSTANT VEGAN ALFREDO


I cut this recipe in half when I made it.  I am glad that I did. The sauce is fantastic when it is freshly cooked but it does dry up quite a lot so the leftovers are not as good. Perhaps the pasta absorbed the liquid from the sauce as it sat in the refrigerator.  

So there you have it... three recipes made from shelf-stable silken tofu.  I enjoyed them all very much.








No comments: