Thursday, March 26, 2020

My New Favorite Granola (Vegan) and Some Other Great Recipes I’ve Been Making


Yogurt Parfait with homemade soy yogurt, banana, and homemade granola

I really have been cooking a ton lately; I just have not been posting about it.  I switched to a plant-based/vegan diet in November 2019, and my husband joined me a few months later.  We have found that it is possible to eat out and stick with plant-based eating, but the options are limited.  Now that we are living in the time of the Corona Virus Pandemic, we are making and eating all of our meals at home.  Thankfully, I enjoy cooking and baking as much as I do.

We are making an effort to go to the store as little as possible as the Corona Virus is spreading across Colorado.  Testing has been extremely limited in our town; it’s unsettling to think that the number of people infected is far greater that what the figures on the nightly news are showing.  Staying in is a good idea and I also feel it’s socially responsible.  

So... what have I been making lately?  

Here is a granola recipe I tried recently.  I have actually made it twice because it’s so good.  As you can see in the photos, I am using this granola to make fruit and yogurt parfaits.

GRANOLA:


I like to make the parfaits with my homemade soy yogurt:

YOGURT:


I made some of the parfaits with homemade Crock Pot Applesauce:







Homemade applesauce, homemade yogurt, and homemade granola.  Yum-o!


Healthy Shamrock Shake

Around St. Patrick’s Day, I kept seeing green smoothies on Facebook and Instagram.  I tried a recipe called “Healthy Shamrock Shake” and I really like it.  I left out the chocolate and I discovered my Peppermint Extract is extremely old, but it still worked.

HEALTHY SHAMROCK SHAKE:


I am also currently cooking my way through a great cookbook by a local woman, J L Fields.  The cookbook is called “Fast & Easy Vegan Cookbook”.


I am obsessed with this cookbook. The orange tabs mark the recipes I have tried already.  Some of the recipes are so great that I have already made them multiple times.

Let me show you some of the recipes I’ve made from the book. I don’t feel I should share the recipes themselves. I’ve not always been entirely conscientious about that but sharing the recipes directly from the book does violate the rights of the cookbook author. 



Breakfast Smoothie Bowl


Homemade Calzone.  This recipe is actually my creation but the “vegan ricotta cheese” in the calzone is a recipe from the cookbook.  The recipe is called “Ch-ofu Ricotta” because it’s made from chickpeas and ricotta.  In my opinion, it’s WAY better than ricotta cheese.


The pita above is inspired by a recipe in the book.  Homemade pita, homemade jalapeño hummus, and shredded lettuce.  Such a great and easy meal.


Above:  Falafel Burgers and Ranch Dressing (made with soy yogurt)


Spinach-tofu Casserole


Avocado-Black Bean Medley (it’s a massaged kale salad and the toppings are ingredients you’d use to make guacamole... avocado, tomato, lime, onion).  

The cookbook can be found here and other places.  Obviously, I’m a huge fan:

Cookbook Link:


J L Fields also has a blog and you can find many recipes there as well; here is a link:


I hope you and yours are all doing well during this uncertain time.  Stay safe and healthy.




1 comment:

affectioknit said...

I was just thinking that I needed to make a new batch of granola...
~Have a lovely day!