Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cream Cheese Cherry Pie

CREAM CHEESE CHERRY PIE
You'll have to take my word for it... this picture  does not do this pie justice.  It's even better tasting than it looks!  And... it only has a few ingredients and is a snap to whip together.  I have three co-workers and all four of our birthdays fall between August 12 and September 25.  How crazy is that?  All of my co-workers are "ga-ga" about this pie and I almost feel ashamed bringing it to work for birthdays as there is no cooking or baking involved (unless I make the graham cracker crust myself, but the pre-made crusts come with a lid which makes it easier to transport to work... so I used the pre-made crust here).  
This recipe is especially great for the hot summer months when you want to make a treat and you don't want to heat up the oven or the house.  When I was a kid, I remember my Dad requesting this treat for his birthday (in July) instead of a cake.  I can also picture making this dessert around Christmastime... the red cherry pie filling is rather festive looking I think.
 
Whoops! I left the vanilla out but it still tasted good!
INGREDIENTS:

1 home-made graham cracker pie crust or a pre-made graham cracker pie crust (6 oz. size)
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup Real Lemon brand lemon juice (fresh lemon juice from approx. 3 lemons would also work)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling

Time to lick the beaters.  Hee, hee!
DIRECTIONS:
In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixture on low speed until creamy. Next, while the mixer is running, slowly stream in the sweetened condensed milk; mix until well incorporated, scraping the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula. Add the lemon juice and vanilla all at once and beat on medium speed, for approximately 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally, until thickened and creamy, and all ingredients are well incorporated.  Spoon the filling evenly into the graham cracker pie crust.  Refrigerate for an hour or two (the cream cheese filling will become much more firm) and then top the pie with with the cherry pie filling. 

Easy as... pie!

No comments: