Saturday, July 7, 2012

Crunchy Granola... with NO added FAT!

Crunchy Granola

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I am a big fan of the blog called "Cookie Madness".   Sadly, since I am trying to eat healthier and exercise more, I am baking less and less.  Thankfully, Anna at Cookie Madness seems to have a thing for granola (like me!) and I am finding more and more recipes on her blog that I both want to try and fit into my healthy eating regiment.  Last weekend, I whipped a double batch of this granola from Anna's blog (recipe link HERE) and I LOVE it.  As the name says, it's very crunchy. While the granola was cooling a snuck a few spoonfuls and enjoyed it over cup of Oikos brand Greek Yogurt. The flavor was Black Cherry (which is to DIE for if you've not tried it).  My simple, healthy treat of yogurt and granola was seriously just as good as THIS recipe! 



Last night when the granola was in the oven, my son optimistically asked... "What's in the OVEN? Are you making chocolate chip cookies?"  I said it was granola in the oven... with vanilla... you are smelling the vanilla!  He began to give me a hard time... my son said, "Mom, you haven't made chocolate chip cookies since before Obama was in office!"  Seriously, I don't think it's been THAT long, but it HAS been awhile.  Sounds like it might be time to whip up some chocolate chip cookies.  Thankfully I have a good, healthier recipe for chocolate chip cookies.  In fact, it's the only cookies I make my son will eat. What is wrong with this kid!

Crunchy Granola (with no added fat)
from Cookie Madness http://www.cookiemadness.net/

Cooking Spray or olive oil for misting
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds (I used whole almonds, coarsely chopped)
1/3 cup brown sugar (dark or light) (I used light)
2 tablespoons water
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used vanilla that I brought back from Mexico... so good!)

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray or mist with olive oil.

Stir together oats, pecans and almonds in a mixing bowl.

Place brown sugar, water and salt in a 2 cup microwave safe measuring cup. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over oat mixture and stir until oats are coated with mixture.

Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes, stopping to stir mixture every 15 minutes or so. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

2 comments:

K2 said...

Oh! I have to try this one!!!

Kim said...

Yes, K2! Make it. It's so yummy and crunchy! I am almost out... time to make some more.