Sunday, April 5, 2015

Sweet Potatoes in the Crock Pot


Not too long ago, somewhere on the Internet, I saw that you can make baked sweet potatoes in the crock pot. I gave it a try recently. 

I just scrubbed the taters. 
Wrapped them in aluminum foil.
Placed them in the crock pot and covered them with the lid.  After cooking on low for 4 hours, they were perfectly cooked. 

I must have been busy when I unplugged the crock pot because I let the potatoes just sit and sit and sit in the hot crock pot; I did not give it much thought until I finally went to get the taters out of the crock pot and I realized they were oozing a bit of liquid. Duh!  They kept on cooking while they sat.

Next time I do this, I will take the taters out right away so they can be eaten.  But, given that I often cook ahead for the week (which is what I was doing this weekend), I will take the taters out, remove the aluminum foil wrapping, and allow the taters to cool a bit before refrigerating.  My taters were very moist since I let them sit so long. They must have really gotten a nice steam bath in that foil. The tater skins nearly slipped right off and the flesh was super soft.  They would have been the perfect consistency for Sweet Potato Pie.  Which reminds me... I've always wanted to make Sweet Potato Pie. 

I imagine this technique would also work well for russet potatoes but I have not yet tried it.  I did read a number of articles on the Internet before trying this "taters in the crock pot" technique.  Some recommended wrapping the taters in aluminum foil; some did not.  Some recommended cooking the taters for 8 hours on low.  For me, 4 hours on low was perfect in my crock pot.  All of the recipes (or directions) I saw specified NO LIQUID needed to be added to the crock pot.

A restaurant called "The Texas Roadhouse" serves baked sweet potatoes just like baked russet potatoes.  If you get the sweet potato fully loaded, it comes with cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar.

Want to know what I am putting in my baked sweet potatoes? 

Crock Pot Root Beer Pulled Pork with BBQ Sauce

I'll post that recipe sometime soon. Stay tuned!

No comments: