Monday, May 30, 2016

Chicken Curry with Peas and Honey



Awhile back, I made a recipe I saw on a cooking show.  It was Chickpea Curry and it's a Pioneer Woman recipe.  The recipe can be found HERE

When I originally made the recipe, I thought it would also be great if one substituted chicken thighs for the chickpeas.  This week, I defrosted some huge chicken breasts to do some more cooking with Zach (we grilled some chicken breasts using a grill pan on the stove top).  I wanted him to taste the curry dish as well because it's really easy to make.  Also, when we went to The Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant, on Mother's Day, Zach seemed to really like a sauce they served which was flavored with curry spice. 

Zach was a good sport about trying the Chicken Curry dish, but decided he did not like it. He found it to be too sweet. I have to admit; I did add a LOT more honey than the original recipe called for, but it just seemed to need it.  I am enjoying all the leftovers.  This recipe makes quite a lot.

As you can see from the photos, I decided to add some peas to my curry.  I think it was a good addition.  Knowing that this recipe had peas and honey, it reminded me of a poem I remember from when I was a kid.  Do you know it?

I eat my peas with honey;
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.



Okay, back to the recipe.  As you can see, the recipe also calls for coconut milk. 


Chicken Curry with Peas and Honey
Adapted from a recipe by Ree Drummond (www.thepioneerwoman.com)

2 cups Basmati or Jasmine rice
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1.25 to 1.5 pounds of chicken breasts, cubed into bite sized pieces
1 medium sized onion, diced fine (I used a sweet Vidalia onion)
salt and pepper to taste
3 to 4 teaspoons curry powder, any variety (I used Savory Spice brand)
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 cup  chicken broth from a carton or can (less if you want a thicker sauce)
1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
1 tablespoon honey, more to taste (I used 3 to 4 tablespoons honey)
Optional:  if you want to thicken your sauce at the end, you can make a slurry of cornstarch and chicken broth or water (described below).
12 ounce bag of frozen peas (optional)

Cook the rice according to the package instructions.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, brown on all sides.  It is not necessary to cook the chicken all the way through at this point.  Add in the diced onions; continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften become translucent.  Add in the garlic and curry powder; stir to coat the chicken and onions with the curry powder. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes (you don't want to burn the garlic).

Add in the chicken broth and then add in the coconut milk; stir to combine and bring to a boil.  Reduce the temperature and allow the curry to simmer uncovered for about 8 to 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.  Season with honey, salt, and black pepper, to taste.

SAUCE TO THIN?
If you find at this point your sauce is kind of thin or runny and you would like it to be thicker, you can thicken it with a cornstarch slurry.  In a separate small bowl or container, combine 1 or 2 tablespoons of water or chicken broth with a tablespoon of cornstarch.  Stir with a whisk or fork to dissolve the cornstarch and pour the cornstarch slurry into the curry.  Bring the sauce back up to a boil for a minute or two and the sauce will thicken up considerably.

JUST BEFORE SERVING:  Add add in the frozen peas and cook for a few more minutes until the peas are thawed and warmed through. 

Serve the curry over the rice.  Enjoy!
Reheats well.

********************
In her Chickpea Curry recipe, the Pioneer Woman suggests you serve the curry with cilantro, lime, and sriracha hot sauce.  I added none of these and I loved the curry without them.


No comments: