Thursday, July 14, 2016

Chop Till You Drop: Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca/Fresh Salsa)


Pico de Gallo/Fresh Salsa/Salsa Fresca

I am trying to eat more veggies. Many mornings I am making scrambled eggs or omelets with lots of veggies such as mushrooms, spinach, onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers.  While on a cruise recently, I had great omelets in the buffet and I loved having fresh salsa (pico de gallo) on top of the omelets.  I decided to whip up a big batch of fresh salsa at home.  My husband enjoyed the fresh salsa on corn tortilla chips shaped like scoops.  I have been enjoying the pico de gallo in a few ways.  So that my fresh salsa is not too wet, I only use the outside, firm flesh of the tomatoes, and I throw away the watery centers of the tomatoes, as well as the seeds and inner membranes.  Here's the recipe (be forewarned... this recipe requires lots and lots of chopping).

Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca or Fresh Salsa)

Recipe Ingredients
1 1/4 pounds to 1 1/2 pounds fresh Roma tomatoes (remove seeds, membranes, and watery parts), diced small
1/2 medium-sized Vidalia onion, diced small
3 to 4 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1 medium sized garlic clove, finely minced
2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used kosher)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (I used freshly ground)
a few pinches of granulated sugar

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl; stir well to combine.  Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.  If you are eating your salsa with salty corn tortilla chips, test the salsa with a salty chip.  If you over- salt the salsa, it may be too salty with the chips.  If you are eating your salsa on other items, such as grilled fish or chicken, you may want to add additional salt. 

I have been enjoying this fresh salsa three ways.

1.  Fresh Salsa on cottage cheese (no photo, but it was delicious!).

2.  Fresh Salsa and Cottage Cheese over 1/2 of a Baked Potato.


3.  Fresh Salsa Over an Omelet.


No comments: