Monday, July 25, 2016

Smoky Turkey Burgers (21 Day Fix Friendly)


Smoky Turkey Burgers
Yes, there IS a burger under there.  It's smothered in mustard and red onion and is sitting on top of a bed of baby arugula. This was today's lunch. Good stuff!


Oh, yum!  These are good and VERY easy to make. 


I used to subscribe to this magazine years ago. I saved all the issues I received and have been going through them recently for some healthy recipe inspiration. 


I considered making these pork burgers but found Jennie-O Lean Ground Turkey on sale for $2.99 per pound at my local Kroger Grocery Store.  I stocked up and made these burgers when I got home from the store. 


Smoky Turkey Burgers
Adapted from "Clean Eating" Magazine
July/August 2010 Issue

Ingredients 

1 pound lean ground turkey (93% lean)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (sweet)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Mist a large skillet (or grill pan) with cooking spray and preheat over medium high heat.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  Mix gently with hands to distribute the spices and shape into 4 equal patties, less than 1/2 inch think.  Add patties to preheated skillet (or grill pan), reduce heat to medium, and cook until bottoms are deep golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.  Flip and cook until patties are firm to the touch and cooked through (no pink remains), about 4 to 5 minutes more. Internal temperature should be 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.


These burgers are GREAT with mustard and raw onion. Today, I could not decide between Spicy Brown Mustard and Dijon Mustard, so I did a little taste test.  Both were very good with this burger!  In the end, my final vote was for the Dijon Mustard, but you can't go wrong with either kind of mustard.


I am making these burgers ahead and keeping them in the refrigerator until I am ready to eat them later in the week.  I find that the burgers are great reheated in the microwave oven (100 percent power) for 45 seconds.  Yesterday, I made these burgers and also made up some Sweet Potato Hash.  You can find the hash recipe HERE.  The Smoky Burgers and the Sweet Potato Hash go well together.






No comments: