Sunday, August 14, 2016

Applesauce & Cottage Cheese


Applesauce & Cottage Cheese

Oh my goodness!  WHY have I NOT tried this sooner?!?!?

I want to say I saw my sister eating this combination YEARS ago, but I just tried this today for the first time and it is insanely delicious!  I had this today with toast and peanut butter. Yum!

I have to say lowfat cottage cheese has become a staple in my kitchen in the last two months since I have been eating clean. I've not been too creative; my favorite cottage toppings are fresh diced Roma tomatoes with salt and cracked black pepper, or pineapple, or fresh nectarines. 

I recently bought some dried dillweed so that I can try cottage cheese with chopped cucumber, dillweed, salt, and pepper. Doesn't that sound great?

Seeing how great applesauce and cottage cheese go together, I decided to "Google" the combination. Turns out the applesauce-cottage cheese combo is quite popular; I even saw an article entitled "The Cottage Cheese & Applesauce Diet".  Apparently, I have been sleeping under a rock and am late to the party... again. 

Anyway, my excitement over this new-to-me taste sensation has led me to think outside the box (or should I say outside "the round plastic tub") when it comes to cottage cheese.  Here are some other combinations I'd like to try soon:

Cottage cheese, unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon with raisins and chopped walnuts. 

Cottage cheese with fresh banana, strawberries, and pineapple (Banana Split). 

Cottage cheese and chives on a baked potato. 

I am sure I will find some other inspiration for cottage cheese toppings very soon; I will keep you posted. A 1/2 cup serving of lowfat 2% cottage cheese has 90 calories and has a whopping 12 grams of protein. I love that cottage is creamy and slightly salty, but goes well with both sweet and savory toppings. 

Here's a short article I found with some creative ideas for cottage cheese: 


On a totally unrelated note, here are some photos of the flowers in my backyard. They are loving our evening thundershowers. 



No comments: